Acupuncture for Small Animals
For which condition is acupuncture indicated?
Acupuncture is commonly used for:
- Neurological Disorders: Traumatic Nerve Injury
- Musculoskeletal Disorders: Arthritis, Spondylosis,
- Dermatological Disorders: Chronic Allergic Dermatitis
- Respiratory Disorders: Asthma, Bronchitis, Rhinitis and Sinusitis
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Gastritis, Colitis
Numerous other conditions have responded to acupuncture as well. Acupuncture can help to shorten rehabilitation after orthopaedic operations.
Specific conditions to treat in small animals are:
- Hip Dysplasia
- Intervertebral Disc Disease
- Lick Granuloma
How often are acupuncture treatments given?
In small animals acupuncture is initially performed once a week for six weeks. A positive response is usually seen after the first to third treatment. After six sessions treatments are tapered off to whatever is necessary to maintain the improvement. Many animals with chronic conditions need a treatment every four to six weeks.